Sharon, Sam and Jane, our dedicated team of hygienists, have put together a list of their top 10 tips for healthy mouths to help anyone who is looking for the best way to care for their teeth. Their advice is a s follows:
- Visit your dentist for regular examinations- they are not only checking for decay but also gum disease, oral cancer and healthy functioning of the jaws and teeth.
- Brush your teeth twice a day and clean between the teeth using floss or inter-dental brushes as recommended by your dentist or hygienist
- Smoking is bad for the overall health of your mouth and gums so if you want to keep your mouth healthy don’t do it
- Limit sugar intake to 3 times a day and have it with meals.
- Wear a mouthguard when playing active sports – ask your dentist about custom made mouthguards which offer the optimal fit and protection
- Use a fluoride toothpaste, research does show that it helps to prevent decay
- Don’t ignore bleeding gums, tell your dentist/hygienist at your next visit about them and use a toothpaste which promotes health gums
- Renew your toothbrush every three months, ask your hygienist which one would be particularly suitable for your teeth
- Eat a healthy diet
- Chewing sugar free chewing gum in between meals promotes the production of saliva which has natural anti-bacterial properties
If you have any questions about these tips email the practice on email@example.com putting “hygiene tips” in the subject lines and Sharon, Sam or Jane will answer them for you.