From your teeth’s point of view water is not good for you when it has bubbles in it. Drinking sparkling mineral water is the same as drinking other non-sugar or diet fizzy drinks. While these drinks do not contain sugar they are acidic and can lead to acid erosion of the tooth surface which in turn can lead to sensitive teeth and excessive tooth surface loss.
So what can you do if you want to enjoy fizzy drinks and minimise the damage to your teeth?
- If you have a fizzy drink wait at least half an hour before brushing your teeth to let the your salivia neutralise the acid in the drink and remineralise your teeth
- Drink them through a straw- the acid has less chance to attack the teeth
- Only have fizzy drinks occasionally- children especially should have not have fizzy drinks regularly
If your teeth are sensitive you should:
- Tell your dentist! Acid erosion is not the only cause of sensitivity.
- Limit your intake of acidic drinks and food eg red wine, fizzy drinks, citrus fruits and fruit juices
- Use a desensitising toothpaste to brush your teeth
To answer the question, plain water is good for you but sparkling water should be drunk in moderation for the benefit of your teeth.